I use an Thinkpad T420 with 8GB of RAM.
I use Linux Fedora 32 exclusively on this computer. I’m a steady user of Linux for the last 5 years and for the last year I totally removed Windows from my machine. For desktop manager I was using XFCE4 and openbox for fiddling around, but since my machine supports Gnome now, I’m sticking to it without trying to be original.
- I use emacs for everything I can. From Todo lists to writing prose my workflow tends to pass through text files which I manage easily.
- For browser I use Firefox. I think it’s more privacy focused than chrome and I don’t like Google’s monopoly.
- For file sync I use Nextcloud.
- For email I use thunderbird and K9 on my mobile. Left gmail for disroot.
- For password management I use Bitwarden. It’s open source and secure. I have different passwords to all my services but in case of bitwarden failure I have no backup solution.
- For music on my computer I use mpg123 for listening to radio stations and Rhythmbox when I have some MP3s to play. I’ve deleted everything recently! 😳
- For office documents I use my distribution’s default Libre office. I don’t use it heavily, just have some sheets I edit sporadically.
I have a junk smart phone, a Huawei P8 lite. It has some problems, but I don’t want to spend money on a new smartphone yet since I try not to use it so much. It serves me with the basics, so I’m ok.
OK, I’m not doing social media and other distracting tasks on my phone, but I rely on it for several things.
- Google Maps (Trying OsmAnd~)
- Etar Calendar
- Librera Pro
- GadgetBridge (for my fitband)
- NewPipe (instead of Youtube)
- MuPDF mini (for viewing PDF files)
- F-Droid for getting as much of my apps I can.
My system mainly comprises of a notebook, an online calendar, and some text files forming a zettelkasten like knowledge base.
📆 Calendar I use Google calendar. I give them my data, but I find it really convenient.
📑 Notebook I currently use a moleskine large hard cover Notebook with a dot grid.
💻 Editor I use Emacs. I’m trying to leave it but I just can’t find something better.